Jul at Veggie Chic . com, (site is since gone), has tagged her readers to write 8 facts about themselves. This is probably an old meme, but as I am often behind the curve on these sorts of things, it caught my interest. The idea is that it gives readers a little more insight into who you and are why you write what you do. At first I thought it was sort of a lame idea. But, then I started thinking about sites and people I would tag and realized it is an interesting way to find out a little bit more about the human behind any site you like to visit. As it would not be fair to tag others without participating myself, the only choices were to ignore the fun, or to make up my own list of 8.
First, there are a few rules. Jul broke the last couple of rules, and I may break the third one by not listing names as I don’t like to call people out on something they have not agreed to ahead of time.
~ The first rule seems to be post the rules before you do your list of 8.
~ Next: List 8 random facts about yourself.
~ In your post on your site, choose (tag) 8 people, list their names and link to them.
~ Leave a comment on their blog, letting them know they have been tagged.
So here goes…
1. I am older than you might think from reading what I write.
2. I have been a subscriber to my opinions and recommendations for a long, long, time.
3. I am normal in that I sometimes don’t follow my own rules and recommendations. As the old saying goes – If it really was easy, everyone would do it.
4. I honestly believe that many people making small changes can contribute as much or more than a few people making wholesale changes to their lives. For example, eat organic, local food when you can even if it is only 20% of the time. You will be happier and make a larger contribution over time than someone who decides that from now on they will ONLY eat local, organic food, can’t make it work, and goes back to their old ways. If you are reading this and are one of the amazing people who has managed to make a complete change a life long success, please write about your secrets and post a link to it here!
5. Even though I am healthy and in great shape, I dislike exercising for exercise sake. I do love to hike and backpack and do play ice hockey. But if I am not doing an exercise activity with other people, for some reason I can’t do it! One caveat is that I do garden, which is a solitary, almost meditative activity and which some people consider exercise. I am not sure I agree that it is real exercise, but it is good for the soul.
6. I love to cook for large gatherings of friends. For some reason, I don’t do this as much anymore and I miss it.
7. I was a stay at home dad, homeschooling my 3 children for 12 years. Maybe this has contributed to #6! But… it was one of the best child rearing decisions that was made, so absolutely no regrets.
8. I love being out in the woods or at the ocean. When I was younger, I surf-fished a lot and would sometimes stay out all night, sleeping right on the sand above the surf line and waking up with the sun to start fishing again. I don’t really fish any more, but still love the outdoors.
9. I don’t have many regrets, maybe just that I had studied harder in school or that I do not take as many photographs as I once did. I used to prowl for hours at a time with my cameras. Guess I just don’t have as much time these days.
10.) Whoops, went past 8…. This is more fun than I thought it would be!